Rizzo Launches Campaign With 2,000 Signatures

May 14, 2015
By

On Tuesday, Mayor Dan Rizzo officially declared his candidacy for re-election by submitting his nomination papers. While only 50 signatures are needed to qualify for re-election, his papers were signed by over 2,000 Revere residents.

“I cannot think of a better job in the world” said Mayor Rizzo to a crowd of volunteers over the weekend. “Every day, I work to build a better Revere and improve the lives of all Revere residents.”

Over 50 volunteers gathered on Saturday morning before spreading out across the city to help in the signature gathering effort.

“Mayor Rizzo has done a fantastic job. He has managed the city finances brilliantly, and prioritizes the right things for our city.” said lifelong resident and State Representative RoseLee Vincent. “Our schools continue to get better, the city’s bond rating has improved, and he has brought a great sense of community pride through Revere Shines and the Columbus Day Parade and Breakfast.”

“Mayor Rizzo has laid out a clear vision for our City and has enacted policies to realize that vision” said School Committeewoman Carol Tye. “Over the last four years he added a Neighborhood Police sub-station on Broadway, attracted new businesses like Harley Davidson and Market Basket, and secured the funding necessary for the new Staff Sgt. James J. Hill School and state of the art Harry Della Russo stadium. When our neighbors needed him most, Mayor Rizzo created the Revere Tornado Relief Fund which raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for families and business owners in Revere who were affected by the tornado last year.”

“We have accomplished a lot, but there is still more to be done” said Rizzo. “Plan Revere, my administration’s community based planning effort, will help Revere realize its full potential by focusing on our greatest assets as a city: proximity to Boston, our historic waterfront, and access to transportation.”

Sidebar –

Only two incumbents have pulled nomination papers for at-large City Council this week for five seats, and no one from the School Committee has yet pulled papers.

Papers became available last Tuesday, May 5, and only a slow trickle of candidates have emerged in the wards and at-large.

Incumbent at-large Councillors Jessica Giannino and Tony Zambuto are the only sitting councillors to have pulled papers for at-large.

A number of new faces in the at-large race have emerged though.

Francis Sarro of Carlson Avenue and Michael Falzone (operator of John’s Pizza in Chelsea) of South Avenue have pulled papers.

Meanwhile, former Councillors George Rotondo (Beach Street) and John Correggio (Graves Road) have also pulled papers for at-large.

Former Ward 1 Candidate Gregg LaCedra of Pearl Avenue has also pulled at-large papers.

As of Tuesday, no one had pulled papers for School Committee.

In Ward 1, Joanne McKenna (who is facing a special election next week) has pulled papers, and Incumbent Ward 2 Councillor Ira Novoselsky has pulled papers.

Ward 3 has no candidate yet, but Council dean Arthur Guinasso is expected to take out his papers soon.

Ward 4 features the only race so far, with Incumbent Stephen Reardon to face off against challenger Patrick Keefe (Kilburn Street).

In Ward 5, incumbent John Powers has pulled papers, and in Ward 6, Charlie Patch has pulled papers.

Search the Journal


Full Print Edition

Get Adobe Flash player