Police Briefs 04-08-2015

April 9, 2015
By

POLICE FIND DEAD BODY IN BEACHMONT

State Police and Revere Police detectives are investigating the discovery of a body in the yard of 289 Endicott Ave. Monday morning.

Revere Police Chief Joseph Cafarelli and District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said the body has been identified as that of a 40-year-old East Boston man. Though there were no immediate signs of violence, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will attempt to determine the cause, manner, and approximate time of his death. Because the preliminary investigation did not immediately suggest foul play, his identity is not being released at this time.

Revere Police were called to the rear of an Endicott Avenue residence at about 10:15 a.m. Monday for a report of an unresponsive male who was soon found to be deceased. Though the man had no identification on his person, he was identified late last night through his fingerprints.

Although the yard in which the man was found had previously contained a large amount of snow from this year’s storms, the man’s remains were not covered in snow or found in a snowbank, authorities said.

Anyone with information on the man’s death is asked to call Revere Police detectives at 781-286-8340 or the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit at 617-727-8817.

MAJOR DISRUPTION AT CARNIVAL

Three people were arrested and more than 40 officers from Revere and surrounding cities were brought in to contain a near-riot at the Fiesta Shows Carnival at Showcase Cinemas on Thursday night.

Police said the scene was chaos and young people flat-out refused to listen to the police or do anything told to them.

Hordes of people tried to get into the movie theatre, but were turned away.

Overall, officers said there was a complete disrespect for the law and law enforcement personnel during the episode.

It started around 11 p.m. when police were trying to move everyone out of the midway to close up the show for the night. However, at the entrance, a fight broke out between some youths.

As police tried to break up the fight and restore peace, the crowd began to turn on them and a riot was a-brewin’.

Offices radioed in for help, calling in scores of officers from Everett, Chelsea, Malden, Winthrop and the State Police.

One person made the ill-advised move of jumping on the back of and trying to attack Sgt. Chuck Callahan – who goes at about 6’5”.

The whole scene was described as being one big mess, with an overriding theme of disrespect for the rule of law.

Three were arrested.

A 17-year-old juvenile was charged with disorderly conduct, failing to disperse in a riot and inciting a riot.

A 16-year-old juvenile was charged with disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and assault and battery on a police officer.

Sinia Tatiana Espino, 18, of Lynn, was charged with assault and battery on a police officer, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest.

ROBBERY AT PARK AVE

The Park Avenue Variety Store was robbed at gunpoint last Thursday evening around 7 p.m.

A clerk told police that two men came in the store and showed a firearm – demanding money. The clerk handed over a small amount of money and the men fled on foot.

They got into a car down the street and fled the area.

JUST A TEST…

Many in the area of Broadway last Wednesday morning when the Revere Police SWAT team deployed to the vacant – and soon to be demolished – Waugh’s Automotive building on Broadway and Fenno Street.

The team came in full force and rushed the building, but apparently there was nothing to be concerned about.

Police said they were just utilizing the vacant building to conduct SWAT team training.

“It was a just a training exercise and the police taking advantage of the vacant building for that training,” said Lt. Jeff Graf.

LAG ON THE BAG

One woman reported on Monday, March 30, that a youth snatched her purse while she was on her way home.

However, that report came more than a month after the crime.

The woman told police that on Feb. 17 she was walking home from the Revere Beach Train Station when a young man ran by and pulled her pocket book away.

He ran down the street.

Guess there was no need for a quick getaway, as more than a month had passed since the crime.

FRIENDS ROB FRIEND

One woman reported to police that she was robbed by two friends around 11 p.m. on Wolcott Road last Tuesday, March 31.

The victim was riding with the friends when all of the sudden they turned on her. They stole her phone and $40 cash and put her out of the car.

Police have identified a suspect.

STATEWIDE TEXTING ENFORCEMENT COMES TO REVERE

Mayor Dan Rizzo and Chief of Police Joseph Cafarelli recently announced that the Revere Police Department will join the 191 eligible Massachusetts law enforcement agencies in the national U Drive. U Text. U Pay. mobilization to crack down on motorists who text while driving.  The campaign, which combines traditional and innovative enforcement strategies, is funded by a federal grant administered through the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security’s Highway Safety Division (EOPSS/HSD) from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).

The mobilization begins April 10 and continues through May 1.

“Driving and texting is illegal and irresponsible. People who break our state’s texting law will be stopped and fined. If you drive and text, you will pay,” said Cafarelli.

Texting while driving was outlawed in Massachusetts effective September 30, 2010.  Adult drivers who write, send, or read electronic messages or browse the Internet while driving face a $100 fine for a first offense – even if the vehicle is stopped in traffic. Juvenile operators are entirely prohibited from using mobile phones and other electronic devices while driving, including to make phone calls. The fine for a juvenile first offense is $100 and includes a 60 day license suspension and required completion of a driver attitudinal course.

These costly violations underscore the danger inherent in the use of electronic devices while driving.  Nationally in 2013, there were 3,154 people killed and an estimated 424,000 people injured in motor vehicle crashes involv­ing distracted drivers.

According to the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute’s 2012 “Teen Driver Distraction Study,” 25 percent of teens respond to a text message at least once every time they drive, while  20 percent of teens and 10 percent of parents admit that they have multi-message text conversations while driving.

“Texting and driving requires motorists to take their eyes off the road, hands off the wheel, and mind off the task of driving.  It creates the proverbial ‘perfect storm’ for a crash, and no one has the right to put another person’s life at risk like that,” said Mayor Rizzo.

Search the Journal


Full Print Edition

Get Adobe Flash player